Scotchgard 3m Brand can be applied with the carpet has been clean and is wet and is sprayed with 70 psi, then raked into the fibers and hug up to dry.
Scotchgard Protector, combines and proper care and cleaning, will make a big difference in retaining your carpet and upholstery’s beauty over many years or regular use.
Just how long your carpet and upholstery will look good depends on a number of factors, including household traffic patterns, exposure to soiling and stains and, or course, proper cleaning and maintenance (vacuuming and spot removal).
So, to get the most out of your Scotchgard investment, here are a few tips you should know about caring for your carpet and upholstery fabrics.
Carpet and upholstery treated with Scotchgard protector will stay cleaner longer — a real time and money saver. For best results, call your professional carpet cleaner.
With some carpets and upholstery you may experience a slight change in feel after Scotchgard protector has been applied. However, routine vacuuming and traffic will bring back the original feel.
How long the protection last depends primarily on how much use the carpet and upholstery receives and how well it’s cared for. Your professional carpet cleaner can determine whether or not adequate Scotchgard protector remains after cleaning. For optimum performance it’s best to have Scotchgard protector re-applied after a professional cleaning by an authorized Scotchgard protector applicator. The most important thing to remember is that even with Scotchgard protector, carpet and upholstery require good housekeeping practices.
Is Scotchgard Carpet and Upholstery Protector used by professional cleaners in either residential or commercial applications safe to use?
Yes, 3M products sold under the Scotchgard brand name have been thoroughly tested and are safe for thier intended use. Scotchgard protector products manufactured after December 31, 2000, do not use, contain, or degrade to PFOA or PFOS. The new materials are deemed acceptable for sale by the U.S. EPA and other environmental agencies around the world.
Spot And Stain Removal Guide
Remember to clean up a spill immediately after it occurs. Carpet and upholstery with Scotchgard Protector will be easier to clean than untreated carpet and upholstery because the stain will be confined and not spread out.
Type Of Stain
- Greasy Butter, salad dressing, hair oil
- Water soluble Fruit juice, alcoholic and soft drinks, sugar and starches
- Combination stains Ice creams, gravy, coffee with cream
- Use a solvent spot cleaner like Energine Spot Remover or a powdery cleaner like K2r Spot-lifter. Carefully follow the directions on the label.
- Mix one quart water with one teaspoon mild detergent
- Use both cleaning agents for greasy and water soluble stains.
Using proper cleaning agent, follow this technique:
Use on colorfast carpet and upholstery only.
Always apply cleaning solution to a small inconspicuous areas carpet or upholstery, blot with a white cloth and check for color transfer before using. If color transfer occurs, the carpet or upholstery is not colorfast ans the treatment should not be used.
- If liquid, blot up as much as you can with a clean cloth, pressing firmly all around the spill to absorb as much o the liquid as possible.
- If the material is solid, scrape up what you can with a spoon or the dull edge of a knife or spatula. Always work from the outside of the spill toward the center.
- Dampen a clean, white cloth with the proper cleaning agent for the type of stain.
- Wipe area gently, working from the outer edge to the center of the spot. Turn the cloth frequently so it is always clean, and do not get the carpet or upholstery excessively wet.
- Repeat this process until the spot is removed.
- Dry the carpet or upholstery by weighing down a half-inch pad of absorbent tissues or cloth to absorb the moisture or, circulate air with a fan.
- After the carpet or upholstery is dry, brush the pile up.
Let dry, Then crumble and remove the excess dirt. Spot-clean as a water soluble stain.
Blot up as much as possible, Next, dilute the stain by cleaning with a cloth dampened with plain water. Then clean with an acidic mixture, such as one quart water and one teaspoon white vinegar; or use club soda.
Nail Polish or Rubber Cement
Wipe up as much as possible. Then use regular nail polish remover, without lanolin, applying it with an eye dropper. Wait a few seconds, then blot with cloth, Repeat until all materiel is removed.
While The Carpet And Upholster Are Drying
- Avoid using the room
- If it is necessary to walk on the carpet, wear clean shoes
- Avoid walking on the carpet with bare feet
- Keep children and pets off the carpet and upholstery
- Weather permitting, open windows to provide fresh air